STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE

STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE
You are what you eat, what you think, what you do.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Quick and Easy Custard Pie

Well, it's about time I posted something new here. I was browsing through Facebook today when I noticed a new recipe in "Just a Pinch". So I clicked over and took a look. Now I probably wouldn't have looked twice but it was early in the day and I hadn't eaten. The picture looked yummy and so I quickly jotted it down. Let me tell you, it is SUPER easy! The recipe calls for traditional ingredients but I got a great idea to substitute some Thrive foods where I could. This is the recipe:

Super Easy Custard Pie
Get our your blender
Put in- 4 eggs (I used Thrive whole egg powder reconstituted)
3/4 C. sugar (you could use your Thrive sugar)
2 C. milk (I used reconstituted Thrive Instant milk)
pinch of salt
1/4 C. melted butter (I used real butter)
2 t. vanilla
1/2 C. flour (you could use your Thrive white or wheat flour)

Mix all these ingredients in the blender for about 30 seconds or so ( I told you it was easy!)
Pour into a greased 9" pie plate (hint: put the pie plate in the oven first and then pour the custard mix into it. It splashes out easily when you try to walk with it or move your oven racks with the full pie plate on it)(I learned this the hard way today!) Sprinkle liberally with Nutmeg.
Bake this for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

The mixture separates and makes it's own crust on the bottom. Now it's not like a crunchy crust so don't be expecting that. It's more gooey than crisp although the next time I might just put it on the bottom rack and see how it turns out. You can see how mine turned out below.

Here's a closer look:


I think if I had been surviving on my food storage staples of whole wheat, beans, oats, powdered milk and rice for a while, a nice little custard dish like this one would be greatly appreciated! Next time I'm going to add COCONUT! Perhaps I will use my coconut macaroon mix with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment