STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE

STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE
You are what you eat, what you think, what you do.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The musical fruit


I think I wrote in another blog something about cooking beans. They take a long time in case any of you have never tried doing it. Those hard as a rock dry beans soften up eventually if you have the time and you do it right.

When I think of surviving on beans, I think of cowboys and pioneers and early Americans. There was always a pot of beans on the fire. Good thing they were mostly cooking and eating outside as well cuz I'm sure there were some amazing fireworks afterwards, if you get my drift. Beans have sorta faded into the background of our daily diet, replaced by burgers and fries and tacos.

Yet most people who store food for a rainy day, have at least a bag or two if not a couple large sacks of dry beans and I bet they don't actually cook with them very often. Special occasions only ;)

Which is why I'm impressed all over again with Thrive's newest product, Instant Beans! How can it be? Easy. They parboil the beans and then dry them. What won't they think of next when it comes to offering us convenient, fast, easy and delicious foods for long term storage and for right now Home Stores?

They have black beans, pinto beans and red beans in the #10 can ready to purchase this month. I have them on order and will report on them when I can.

Will I also store the s-l-o-w cooking variety? Of course. But the idea of making a decision and having cooked beans 20 minutes later is reassuring for all us special occasion chile makers everywhere!

I just can't guarantee there won't be fireworks afterward!

Oh and just so you know, you can now view my official website at doriesmith.shelfreliance.com. Makes it real easy to order them beans now!

No comments:

Post a Comment