STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE

STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE
You are what you eat, what you think, what you do.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Dawn of a new year one day at a time



Welcome to my blog spot "Eat To Live". My name is Dorie Smith and I'm here to be of service! Here you will find helpful hints, inspirational nudges and practical advice on how to use food storage to enhance your diet and benefit your family as well as your budget.

You get to take these daily steps as I take them for I am a new consultant for Shelf Reliance/Thrive foods and emergency products.

The title of my blog comes from a quote on my favorite Aunt Jan's refrigerator, left there by her husband, my Uncle Clyde. It said "WE DON'T LIVE TO EAT, WE EAT TO LIVE". Too much of my life I have chosen the former rather than the latter sentiment. 2011 and my new life as a food storage consultant have prompted me to look at food from a different perspective. In case of emergency, I want to have at least 3-6 months of stored items to provide my family with foods they will actually eat! And I want to learn how to use them often so I am used to them. We have auto insurance, life insurance, health insurance. I want my family to have food insurance too!

Using freeze dried foods added to my basic food storage, I plan to have nutritious and interesting meals that go beyond wheat, beans, sugar, milk, oil and salt!

Let's get started! I will be posting recipes that you can try, using as much food storage ingredients as I have on hand, adapted to what you may have.
You will also be able to contact me by email, to become a member of my customer list. This will give you discounts on your Thrive purchases through me. We'll talk more on that as I learn. Baby steps, you know. Baby steps!

Tomorrow my menu consists of a fresh fruit/spinach smoothie for 2 snacks, 6 grain pancakes with coconut oil and maple syrup, tuna salad sandwich and for dinner, sweet and sour meatballs and rice!
THIS RECIPE CAN BE USED WITH FRESH INGREDIENTS AS WELL AS STORAGE FOODS.
THRIVE FOODS MAKE IT CONVENIENT AS THE LARGE CANS (#10) LAST LONG (15-30 YEARS UNOPENED, 6 MONTHS TO 2 YEARS OPENED).


THRIVE online recipe_Sweet & Sour Meatballs
This simple ground beef recipe has an extra appeal with the addition of sweet and sour flavors.
Prep Time
1 hour
Yield
10 servings10Source
Christy Horn - Recipe Contest 3rd Place Winner
Ingredients
1⁄2 c dry bread crumbs
1⁄4 c thrive instant milk, prepared
1 T thrive iodized salt
1⁄2 t worcestershire sauce
1 thrive whole egg, prepared
1⁄2 c thrive brown sugar, packed
1 T cornstarch
1 cn pineapple tidbits with juice
1⁄3 c vinegar
1 T soy sauce
1⁄8 c thrive red & green bell peppers
2 c thrive ground beef, rehydrated (or 1 lb hamburger)
1⁄8 c thrive chopped onions
Instructions
* Mix hamburger, dry bread crumbs, instant milk, onions, salt, worcestershire sauce, and egg together; shape into twenty 1 1/2" sized balls.
* Place in skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown (about 20 minutes)
OR
bake in an ungreased 9x13" pan at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until light brown.
* Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in a skillet. Stir in pineapple, juice, vinegar, and soy sauce.
* Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, then add meatballs and peppers.
* Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.
http://www.shelfreliance.com/


ENJOY! We'll talk again tomorrow. ~Dorie

No comments:

Post a Comment