STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE

STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE with DORIE
You are what you eat, what you think, what you do.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One new challenge


Been thinking about the food that I have stored over the years. I'm sure some of it is good. I've been the recipient of many cans of dried foods over the years but much of it is very old (my in-laws storage they bought in the early 70's). So my plan is to begin opening a can here and there as I'm storing my new THRIVE products, and trying them out. What's the worst that could happen? It's no good and becomes animal food! Or it's fine and I begin to rotate it into my cooking.

In fact, I think a great challenge for us all would be to determine to make one meal a week from your food storage. Whether that be grinding some wheat and baking a loaf of bread, making a soup or stew from dehydrated veggies or a whole dinner from stored food, it would put your storage to good use AND give you experience on using it.

I use to think as I would make quarts and quarts of homemade jams and jellies each year, that at least we would have that on our homemade wheat bread if that's all we had to eat! Now I realize that we get sick of the same old thing. (As evidenced by the unused blackberry jam in my cupboards that I am having to give away!)

My thinking before was that at least we would survive. That has changed. Now I want my family to THRIVE! And though we are basically empty nesters at this stage of my life, if there were ever a big crisis, many of my kids would come home.

And I will be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment